Inner Me

My photo
I am me; complex yet simplistic; diverse yet ordinary ~ I am a treasure that only those who gain entry can truly understand.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Taking it back

I mentioned in my previous blog that my mother and I were going to see The Whispers and The O'Jays in concert this evening. I'm on such a high that I don't think I'm going to step down from anytime soon. I always pay attention to two things, in addition to the featured act - the audience and the accompanying band. Both, the band for The Whispers and The O'Jays were off the hook. But The O'Jays had about ten dudes in the horn section alone, kid you not. And the venue that we were at had not one bad seat in the house and the stage rotated in the round -- I was in heaven!

I have to say, age has been exceptionally kind to all of those brothers. The Whispers rocked in and then rocked on out -- touching on just about every major hit that I could recall. Scotty talked about the Christmas dvd that they'd just worked on, which was on sale in the lobby. Naturally, by the time I got out there -- they where all out. So he mentioned (http://www.thewhispers.com/) and I guess I'll have to check out the site to see what other goodies I can add to my library. They sang this newer song, "Butta" and it was a 'grown-folks' song, so you know what it was really all about. That's when the first red flag went up about our love songs today and what they lack. The passion, the intimacy, the illusion and mystery are all gone for the most part. I give these dudes a load of credit because they danced, sang, talked, cracked jokes and didn't pass out. I loved it and really enjoyed seeing them. When they sang a bit of "This Christmas" -- I had a Donny Hathaway moment. I have to do some serious research to find out how many people have legitimately recorded that song and then must put as many versions as I can find on a disc.

But I was there for The O'Jays and won't bs anyone who asks. They came out singing, "Give The People What They Want" and sang some songs that I'd forgotten they'd even recorded. I enjoyed watching my mother leap from her seat to dance along with them as they sang something that moved her in such a way, but at some point my thoughts went to my father. We used to have 'red light' parties in my livingroom when I was growing up in the Bronx. I'd peek in to see what the adults were doing. My father was king of "The Bump" (remember that dance?) and would bump my little boney hips until they were sore -- going down the Soul Train Line. Songs like Backstabbers, Money Money Money, Used To Be My Girl and so many more of the O'Jays hits, including Stairway To Heaven bring a flood of memories flashing back of good times, troubled times and family moments we shared.




You could have covered your eyes and not imagined that neither The Whispers or The O'Jays have been in the music making business for more than 40 years. They entertained and delighted the audience, were on-point with their vocals and showmanship. Tonight was a perfect evening.



No comments:

SoulMusiqLuva's Podcast

Hi everyone, I thank you for stopping by to check out my blogspace. I'm excited about the notion of being able to share my thoughts and my love of music with others. From time to time, when I'm feeling inspired I will post episodes to my podcast series -- check out my podcast & enjoy: soulmusiqluvas podcast